Monday, May 2, 2016

Coach Pop: A Master Teacher

If you're a Spurs fan, I hope you are savoring these days and enjoying the amazing run of our 2015-2016 Spurs' team. As usual, this Spurs team stands out in so many ways. They're an incredibly talented team, more focused being a "team" than individuals. They stay under the radar and like it that way. They're not showy or flashy. They're goal is winning the championship and everyone communicates the same. You never hear them talking negatively about another player, owner or team. Of course, Pop may sometimes raises his voice a little at the refs and sometimes he may even yell some not so nice words at them. I usually cringe at this point, praying he doesn't get ejected and that his body guard/coaches will grab him and rescue him from his ways. 
 
Let's consider Coach Pop. We all believe he's the best coach in the league, maybe in all of sports. How does he do it year after year? Pop is singularly focused and not distracted by the business of the NBA. His focus is his Spurs. He's incredibly intelligent and able to counteract any play thrown at him. We all know he loathes being interviewed. I always pity the interviewer who has to fill in for Pop's one word answers. Only Craig Sager, TNT sideline reporter, gets an affable Pop. Our Spurs team are who they are because they have been influenced by Coach Pop. They've spent time and learned from the master teacher of basketball, Coach Pop.
 
Check out this verse in the Bible that shows the power one person can have in our life. It's found in the 4th chapter of Acts, verse 13. "The members of the council were amazed when they saw the boldness of Peter and John, for they could see that they were ordinary men with no special training in the Scriptures. They also recognized them as men who had been with Jesus." So, Peter and John, who never went to school, ordinary fishermen, who were radically changed by their relationship with Jesus. It caused others watching to be amazed! They could see a difference in these guys. They saw their courage, zeal and ability to communicate their message. Their master teacher had strongly influenced them!
 
I long to be like Peter and John in this verse! I want others to notice Jesus in me. So often, what bubbles up in me is my fear, pride and insecurity. But, when I take time to daily commune with God, these things seem to lose their power in my life. Problems aren't as super-sized in my mind. My fears dissipate. My worries shrink. My insecurities melt as I focus on God being my rock. Yeah, I'm a different person when I've hung with Jesus.
 
What do you think others notice about you? Your crusty exterior? Your ability to get a lot done? Your uncanny ability to succeed? It is often said that the company you keep shapes the person you will become. Who are you becoming?
 
Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain for the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment