Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Bear Jam!

Just two weeks ago, while in Colorado for a wedding, we took a drive in Rocky Mountain National Park. We had just gone a few miles when we came upon quite a traffic jam. Great. Just what you want on vacation. A traffic jam in the mountains. Not the typical San Antonio traffic jam. It was a real live bear jam! A bear jam is a traffic jam caused by tourists stopping to look at bears near the road. So, being the curious couple we are, we parked the car and joined the crowd. There, not so far away, cuddled up on a rock was a brown bear, taking an afternoon snooze. He was oblivious to 30 or so tourists vying to get a nice picture, while the female park ranger stood guard. Mr. Brown Bear could have made big honey money if he had a tip jar that day.
 
As I stood there, cozied up around other gawkers, I wondered the obvious question. What would happen if Mr. Brown Bear woke from his mid-afternoon nap? Well, I did some research and found out that brown bears distribute their weight toward their hind feet, which makes them lumbering as they walk. Don't be deceived, because they are still quite fast. They can reach 30 mph! So, let's just say, I'm glad Mr. Brown Bear was deep in sleep. Every one of us would have been running for our bear-loving lives.

It's funny how we can look so fearless and appear so put together. Yet, fear can overtake us in a second if threatened. Intimidated. Pressured. Our calm, cool, collected persona can change in a heartbeat when things go south. When road rage strikes on your drive home. When pressured to perform beyond what's possible. When anger at home erupts. Trying again after failure.  Risking vulnerability for fear of being judged. Did you ever consider saying "no" to fear? How has fear paralyzed you?

Anytime you sense a "spirit of fear" invading any part of your life, you can assume that it's not coming from God.  (Of course, there ARE things we should fear, like brown bears, etc....) As you spend time developing a relationship with God, however, you will discover that God is fearless.  Because he is fearless, we too, can be fearless as we live life with God.  Apart from him, not so much. Don't let fear narrow your world.  What do you fear?  What are you scared of? I have a number of things that I fear. I've asked the Lord to meet me in my deepest fears.  Guess what? He does. How about you?

"When I am afraid, I will put my trust in You. In God, whose word I praise. In God, I have put my trust; I shall not be afraid. What can mere man do to me?" Psalm 56:3-4

"God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind." 2 Timothy 1:7

Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain for the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment