Wednesday, September 2, 2015

A Desire to Pray More

This week, I've come face to face with a renewed desire to pray. No, it wasn't because something bad happened in my life to drive me to pray more. It wasn't because I read a really good book on prayer.  It was prayer itself. In praying more, I had a desire to pray more.  Most people don't pray because they've never tried. If they never try, they never see the benefits.
 
Why is prayer just the hardest thing to do? Who has the time to pray, anyways?  And it seems easier just to talk to people...
 
It's just weird to talk to someone who is not there in bodily form. It's so much easier to get up from our desk, go down the hall and visit with so and so. At least, that person is physically present. Able to smile. Give a pat on the back. Extend immediate feedback. Consider facebook. Who hasn't seen a post of someone sharing about their very bad, horrible no-good day? Before long, that person has countless comments of encouragement, all joining in chorus with the lamenter about his very bad, horrible no-good day. It's a strange thing. It's so much easier to go to people than God.
 
This week, I was determined to spend more time talking to God than talking to people. I shored up my prayer journal and made sure I had up-to-date requests. I spent time in the early morning hours praying before I kicked off my day. I talked to God about matters way too big for me. People that have cancer. People who need a fresh touch of God. Freedom from fear. Help dealing with difficult people. Blessings over family. You know, the stuff of life. Yep, in praying more, I had a desire to pray more.
 
So, what's going on in your life that's too big for you to handle? The longer you live in life, the longer your list. Right now, things may seem good. You may feel like you have things quite under control. But the moment something goes awry, what do you do?
 
For example, what do you do when you're in conflict with another employee? How do you handle a fellow worker who has hurt you? How do you practice loving others who don't love you so well? You pray for them. The sooner, the better. When I pray for these types of things, my attitude towards people changes. I change. I love Scotty Smith's quote "Get low and pray 4 those who annoy you, use you, dishonor you and gossip about you. Better to pray 4 them than let their nonsense prey on you." Wow.
 
Why not start your day with a new or renewed desire to pray? Go ahead. Get low. Get totally out of your comfort zone. Pray. And then pray some more. Watch God meet you. I dare you.
 
Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain for the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment