Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Selfies

Selfies.  The Urban dictionary defines one of the latest and greatest new words as "pictures taken of oneself while holding the camera at arm's length." In our visual cuture, the selfie is a quick way that easily shows how you're doing, how you're feeling and where you're at.  People seem to like selfies, because as actor, director and writer James Franco writes, "The 'likes' spin out of control when I post selfies with me and my two handsome brothers." And don't we want a lot of 'likes'?

Franco goes on to write "But a well-stocked collection of selfies seems to get attention.  And attention seems to be the name of the game when it comes to social networking.  In this age of too much information at a click of a button, the power to attract viewers amid the sea of things to read and watch is power indeed.  It's what the movie studios want for their products.  It's what professional writers want for their work, it's what newspapers want, it's what everyone wants: attention."

There's nothing bad about a good selfie.  Been there; done that.  I just want to lean into the above quote for a minute.  Attention.  Everyone wants attention. That seems very accurate.  We all want to be known.  To know.  To make a difference.  To have others interested and ask us questions. Yes, we all want attention.

It seems that the times where I did receive the attention that I longed for, it was never enough.  I wanted something more.  Honestly, I believe that we all long for God. We just don't know it.  He's the only one who can truly satisfy our longings. Seeking out attention from others may work for a while.  But it never satisfies.  There is a God who knows you and me more than we know ourselves. His focus is entirely on you.  His love for you is never-ending. And that God seeks a relationship with you and me.  Amazing.

In our new era of social networking, the selfie is the new way of looking into someone and saying "This is me." Did you know that God cares more about your "self" than any one in the world? 

"As the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul pants for you my God.  My soul thirsts for God, for the living God.  When can I go and meet with God?" Psalm 42:1-2

Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain for the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment