Tuesday, March 11, 2014

39 Assists

I love a good Spurs game when I don't have to anxiously bite my nails in the last few minutes of play, wondering if they're going to pull it out.  This past week, I enjoyed such a game.  Instead, I actually painted my nails as well as other non-mental tasks while watching them stroll to an easy win over the Cleveland Cavaliers.

That night, the Spurs became the first team in league history to have 13 players record an assist in one game, per NBA states. Now, I'm not much into keeping track of sports statistics, but this one made me stop and pause. 39 of San Antonio's 43 baskets (90.7%) were assisted in the easy victory. That's just mind-boggling. It seems rather fitting that the Spurs set such a record, as their deep rotations and team-oriented basketball demonstrate that basketball is not about being a one-man show.
 
In the game of basketball, assists are indubitably underrated. People value points. Points determine wins. However, the Spurs get the value of team. They also realize that if one player dominates with points, eventually the other team will adjust by double teaming him, which leaves another player open for the assist. When a team is passing the ball and working together as an entire team, it's just easier to score points by relying on the team as a whole.
 
We would do well to learn from the Spurs. How would my ratio of assists be in my work? In my home? With others? When we assist someone, we give support or aid to help them in their endeavors. When we are high in assists, we recognize we have a job to do, but we make sure to aid, encourage and help those around us as well. I can be so busy reading emails or doing my list of tasks that I miss that co-worker in front of me who could use help on a project or just a listening ear.

Finally, we won't succeed by being a one-man show.  Sure, you might be very good at what you do. It might even be easier for you to do the job than ask others to join you. We may hunger for accolades. Getting the credit. Scoring the win. But, in the long run, there is much more value in working together to achieve the common goal. Everyone brings to the table their unique self. That's the beauty of team.
 
Take a moment today and ask God to give you a heart that assists those around you. Get outside yourself. Go ahead and make somebody's day.
 
Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain of the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment