Monday, January 20, 2014

Honoring Martin Luther King, Jr.

Have you ever put yourself in the place of someone else and tried to experience what they experienced? Live how they lived?  Suffer like they suffered?

As I considered today's holiday, I took some time to review the life of Martin Luther King, Jr. especially during the years 1955-1968.  Can you imagine being King in those days?  What would it have been like to not be able to sit at the lunch counter at Woolworth's and be served a sandwich and coffee?  What would it have felt like to be persecuted and oppressed?  What would it have been like to stand in front of throngs of people and share "I Have a Dream?" What would it have felt like to be arrested for leading a freedom march?  How would It feel to constantly live in danger?

It is a good exercise to contemplate in some little way what Martin Luther King experienced while on this earth.  I know I've been guilty of glossing over holidays, but not really taking time to consider the life we honor.  King brought to the world's attention how unfairly blacks were treated.  He helped millions of Americans, standing up for rights for the African-American people.

In March, 1968, King went to Memphis, Tennessee.  Black garbage workers were on strike there and King wanted to help them win a pay raise.  He planned to lead a march, but a riot ended the march.  He went back to his home in Atlanta, but felt he had given in to the violence.  So King went back to Memphis and began another march.  On April 3, he made his last speech there.  He was murdered April 4th, as he sat on the balcony of his motel in Memphis.

A tape recording was played at his funeral from part of the last sermon King had made in his church.  In speaking about his death, he stated "I'd like someone to mention that day that Martin Luther King, Jr. tried to give his life serving others....I want you to be able to say that day that I did try to feed the hungry.  I want you to be able to say that I did try in my life to clothe the naked.  I want you to say on that day that I did try in my life to visit those who were in prison.  And I want you to say that I tried to love and serve humanity."   Would someone be able to say these things at our funeral someday?

We may never be confronted with the same level of suffering and persecution that Martin Luther King, Jr. experienced.  But we deal every day with people.  Oppression can be anything from physical attack, bullying, negative words, judgments and constant put downs.  When we are oppressed, how do we choose to deal with it?  Martin Luther King chose to make a difference in spite of the oppression.  How can you follow in His footsteps this day?

"Fearing people is a dangerous trap, but trusting the Lord means safety."  Proverbs 29:25

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that.  Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain for the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment