Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Become a Better You!

How many New Year's Resolutions did you make this year?  New Year's Resolutions can be a good thing...if they're kept.  But often, resolutions are simply wishful aspirations that lasts until the end of January.  However, I do think it's important to consider our personal lives and how we've lived this past year.  The new year is a wonderful time to pause and think about the direction of our lives.  Where we've been.  Where we're going.  It's so easy to allow the calendar to flip over to 2014 without even a thought for quiet reflection.

Over the course of this last week, I've done some needed evaluation of my life.  I've looked at my marriage, my work, my relationships, my relationship with God, my extra-curricular activities, my character, and more. I realized this time of evaluation was critical for me as I desire to grow in mind, body and spirit.  I've looked at some specific areas of my life that need to grow in the coming year and set some specific goals.  By God's grace and help, I will make progress in 2014.

We don't often take time to be quiet...and reflect.  How we miss out!  Here's a challenge.  Take one hour out of your life in the coming week to do just that!  You could use some of the following questions to help guide your time: What one thing could you do this year to increase your enjoyment of God?  What 3-4 character qualities require focused attention this coming year? (more patience, love, grace, kindness, better listener are some ideas...) What have been your biggest time wasters in 2013 and what will you do about it this year? How do you want to make the biggest difference this year in your life? What relationships in your life need the most work? What will you do to work on them?  Who do you need to forgive that you haven't?  What's the most important decision you need to make this year? What areas of your life most needs simplifying, and what's one way you could simplify in that area?  What is the one person you most want to encourage this year?  What habit would you most like to establish this year?  What's the single most important thing you could do to improve the quality of your work life this year? What one thing do you most regret about last year, and what will you do about it this year? (Many of these questions are taken from Don Whitney, Ten Questions to Ask at the Start of the New Year, Online)

I want 2014 to count.  I want to make a difference.  I want to be the best I can be.  Don't you?  God delights in partnering with us to help us grow to become better people.  Why not carve out that hour in the next week, snuggle up with a cozy blanket, a fire in the fireplace and a warm cup of coffee?  Take some time for reflection.  Become a better you.

Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain for the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment