Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Am I Really Listening?

My husband tells me I don't always hear everything he says.  I'm hoping I'm not losing a bit of my hearing, but suffice it to say, I'm not always the best listener.  Frankly, I think all of us, if honest, would admit that we lack in listening skills.  Yet, if we are to hold high the value of "respecting one another" we would do well to sharpen our listening skills.

Why don't we tend to be good listeners in general?  There's lots of reasons!  I know that sometimes I'm guilty of thinking about how I'm going to respond, while at the same time trying to listen to someone.  Not good.  Often, I'm just so excited to get my two cents in that I cut the other person off.   Really not good. We are all prone to interrupt because that's just what we do!   We don't think twice doing it.  Finally, I think we are so busy that interactions with people can just be "one more thing" that we have to do.  We've got our eye on our phone and halfway listening to the person in front of us!  Who knows?  The email or text on the phone might be way more exciting that the person in front of you!  Perish the thought of being the talker. 

As we give the gift of respect to those around us each day, I think it would be thoughtful to refresh our listening skills.  Here are some questions to ask yourself as you communicate to others:  Do I hear every word they speak?  Do I care when I hear? Do I judge when I hear?  what do I wonder about?  Why don't I ask them?  Am I REALLY listening when they are talking OR am I thinking about what I will say next?  Do I care for them OR do I care about their opinion of me?  Do I leave them impressed OR make them feel good about themselves?  Am I treating them the way I want them to treat me?  Are they REALLY better off because I am in their life?  (Doug Pollock, God Space)
So, let's make this a week where we work hard to give the gift of listening to those we come in contact with.  Not only will you be blessed, but the person you listen to will be double-blessed.

"Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit.  Rather, in humility value others above yourselves." Philippians 2:3

"The most basic of all human needs is the need to understand and be understood.  The best way to understand people is to listen to them."  Ralph Nichols

No comments:

Post a Comment