Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Conquering Fear

Just this last week, my  husband and I spent some time in Durango, Colorado.  While my husband was on a solo backpacking journey, I decided to take a half day horseback ride along the Piedra River near Pagosa Springs.  The ride would cover over 13 miles along the rim of the river, with gorgeous views along the way.  Our leader?  Stoney, an older cowboy, who had had one leg amputated 17 years ago from a horse accident.  He entertained all three of us riders along the trail with interesting stories form his life as a cowboy and history of the area.

I don't remember reading anywhere on-line warning potential riders about the steep cliffs and narrow paths we would encounter along the way.  However, it wasn't long after our departure, that our little motley crew started climbing up some pretty intense trails.  Soon, we were towering above the Piedra River, looking straight down about 100 yards at times.  Our little trail would often fade away from the erosion, leaving little room for our horses to mark their path.  Thankfully, these were some sure-footed horses!  Every time, we'd hit an area of difficulty, Cowboy Stoney would say with a smile "That's the roughest area we've had....so far." Soon, we would encounter another area that was a tad scarier.  Cowboy Stoney even told us about a time recently when he and his mare had encountered a bear along the path.  His mare still snorts loudly as she passes that spot.

I love horses.  I love mountains.  And honestly, the ride was incredible.  However, there were points along the way that I was pretty scared.  I was involved in an accident on a mountain road in Idaho years ago and heights can still affect me.  Knowing full well my horse Haley would sense my fear, I really worked hard to just sit, relax in the saddle and enjoy the ride and scenery.

Fear can grip us when we least expect it.  We can actually live in fear wondering about all the 'what ifs' that could potentially happen.  The French philosopher Montaigne said "My life has been full of terrible misfortunes, most of which never happened."  How true!  Isn't it amazing how young children often have no fear?  Yet, as time goes on in life, we see things happen and become aware of the "what ifs' of life.  Many of us live paralyzed by fear.

How about you?  What are you afraid of?  I'm so grateful that God cares about all my fears.  No matter how big or small, God wants us to bring Him all our fears.  He will listen and meet us in those fears.  Even David in the Bible, who went through a lot of horrible scary circumstances was able to say with confidence "The Lord is my Salvation; Of whom shall I fear?  the Lord is the strength of my life; Of whom shall I be afraid?  (Psalm 27:1)  Let's start our day saying NO to fear!


Nancy Abbott serves as the Chaplain of the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment