Monday, May 8, 2023

Out of Control

This past weekend, Ben and I enjoyed my nephew's wedding in Ohio. While waiting to board our plane, we got a string of calls from the doggie daycare where Chara, our doggie, was staying. Chara was stressed from the moment she arrived there, but things proceeded to go from bad to worse. The staff at the daycare encouraged us to send her to an emergency vet. We agreed and boarded the flight.

When was the last time you felt totally out of control? We did as we set on that plane. There was absolutely nothing we could do. Thankfully, with some back-and-forth texts with the vet, we have a plan for her stress colitis. 

Feeling out of control can happen when we least expect it. Turbulence on a plane. Unforeseen financial problems. Loss of a significant relationship. Medical challenge. Overwhelming work responsibilities. Feeling at a loss in the craziness of our world.

In moments where I feel powerless, I must run to God. I couldn’t do much of anything on the plane, but I went to Psalm 91 in my Bible and read through it. I wrote the prayers of my heart in my prayer journal. I lamented with Ben. In those moments, I landed on the following verse:

“He will call on me, and I will answer him: 
I will be with him in trouble,
I will deliver him and honor him.”
  Psalm 91:15

I saw God’s personal nature with me. There on the plane, I found hope in God and His word. Things may not always go as we plan in life, but He can be trusted fully. And tonight, as we sit in the Houston airport, we’re glad for a diagnosis and treatment plan.

I heard a new song by Lauren Daigle (Thank God I Do) and seemed so perfect for the situation at hand.

“I don’t know who I’d be if I didn’t know You
I’d probably fall off the edge
I don’t know where I’d go if You ever let go
Se keep me held in Your hands……

You’re my safe place, my hideaway
You’re my anchor, my saving grace
You’re my constant, my steadiness
You’re my shelter, my oxygen
I don’t know who I’d be if I didn’t know You.
Thank God I do.


That’s all I can say right now. Thank God I do.

Take a listen to Lauren Daigle’s new song:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfR6XLXRNy0

Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain of the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment