Monday, April 1, 2019

Don't Be A Fool!

I strategize ahead of time to have the most possible impact for April Fools Day. My prankster gene goes into full force for this holiday. I love when my pranks are a total surprise, thus joyfully expressing those priceless words “April Fools!” (My favorite was joining with a group of friends to set up a garage sale at a friend’s house unbeknownst to her. We hauled in all sorts of junk and even advertised! People starting arriving early for the good deals. She walked outside in disbelief but then joined in the fun. I think she even made some money.)
April Fools jokes are fun, for sure. However, it’s a good time to catapult our thinking to some unique characteristics of what a fool really is. The common definition of a fool is: A person who acts unwisely or imprudently; a silly person, someone who lacks wisdom, dogmatic, closed to new thinking, resents discipline, and refuses to learn. I assume few of us, however, would categorize ourselves as a fool.
I can honestly say, looking back on my life, that there were times I acted like a fool. I was unwise and made bad choices. What was I thinking?Perhaps I wasn’t thinking! Sadly, I think we can all get caught in making the same bad choices over and over and wonder why we get the same results.
Many assume that as we get older, we naturally get wiser. Not necessarily. Sure, there’s wisdom in experience, but there is also a unique wisdom that is captured as we take God and His Word seriously.
I’ve been studying King Solomon in a bible study. King Solomon made some foolish mistakes in his lifetime. He acted unwisely and his choices affected many. But, he also made some good choices! King Solomon had a dream and God gave him a “whatever you want” offer. Solomon prayed a childlike prayer and asked God for wisdom and insight. God was so pleased in what he asked for that He gave Solomon him more than He asked for! (1 Kings 3:5-14)
You may get fooled today, but don’t be a fool. Be open to advise from others, especially from those you trust and can give counsel. Seek others out to learn from. Seek a mentor for your character. Study God’s word for insight and wisdom. Happy April Fools Day!
“A fool takes no pleasure in understanding, but only in expressing his opinion.” Proverbs 18:2
“A fool gives full vent to his spirit, but a wise man quietly holds it back.”Proverbs 29:11
“The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge; fools despise wisdom and instruction.” Proverbs 1:7
Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain for the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment