Monday, March 11, 2019

Dog Gone Disaster

I couldn’t believe what I saw when Zoe, our English Springer, came prancing out of the dog groomers to greet me! Picture a child getting a hold of a pair of scissors and deciding it’s time for a massive haircut. It’s usually not a good thing.
What was I to do? Zoe had a Canines for Christ event at our church's Upward Basketball games on the weekend. She looked awful! Now I know this hair cutting disaster is not a big deal when it comes to things like world peace, but it marginally affected my otherwise very good day. (Thankfully, the children flocked around her at the game and didn’t even notice.....)
I began to think about it after the shock of her appearance wore off. Frankly, Zoe didn’t care a thing about how she looked. She pranced out of the groomers like she was queen for a day! And it hasn’t bothered her a bit since that frightful day. She’s just as loving. Just as sweet. Just as happy.
We humans can be so focused on our outer appearances! Just yesterday, I was looking at the amazing wrinkles that are just coming out of nowhere on me! It’s fascinating how they arrive over night! I can’t wait for more! NO! We don’t say that! Instead, I try to do what I can to hide them, but alas, nothing seems to work.
I love the heart of God! He tells us what’s most important to Him! In 1 Samuel 16:7 “But the Lord said to Samuel, “Do not look on his appearance or on the height of his stature, because I have rejected him. For the Lord sees not as man sees; man looks on the outward appearance, but the Lord looks on the heart.”  We can become so focused on how we look that we forget what’s most important to God. We forget that God looks at our heart. What does He see when He looks at your heart?
Do you focus more on your body at the expense of your spirit? I can work out until I’m blue in the face. That wouldn't be good either. But, what if I miss the most important thing?
Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain for the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment