Monday, December 3, 2018

God @ Work

The first six months of my life are unknown to me. I don't have any family pictures of my first days of life. I don’t know what hospital I was born in or when my mom brought me home. The truth is, she didn’t bring me home. It wasn’t until later that I was adopted into another family.

Have you ever wondered why things happen as they do? Have you questioned God when things in life don’t go as planned? When the chaos of our world overwhelms you, do you wonder where in the world is God? 

This week, God astounded me in a new way as I read a familiar Psalm, Psalm 139. God allowed me to take in these words as if they were new again! I was blown away.

“O Lord, you have searched me and know me! You know when I sit down and when I rise up; you discern my thoughts from afar. You search out my path and my lying down. And are acquainted with all my ways. Even before a word is on my tongue, behold, O Lord, you know it altogether. You hem me in, behind and before, and lay your hand upon me. Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; it is high, I cannot attain it? Where shall I go from your Spirit? (1-7) For you formed my inward parts: you knitted me together in my mother’s womb. I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are you works; my soul knows it very well. My frame was not hidden from you, when I was being made in secret, intricately woven in the depths of the earth. Your eyes saw my unformed substance; in your book were written, every one of them, the days that were formed for me, when as yet there was none of them. How precious to me are your thoughts, O God! How vast is the sum of them! If I would count them, they are more than the sand. I awake, and I am still with you. (13-18)

I marvel at how God was very present and had the perfect plan for my life, even when my birthmother didn’t see me as a “perfect” plan. I marvel at these verses and how much God’s presence is right here, right now. That I can’t get away from him. I can’t hide from Him. I can’t act as if He doesn’t exist. So, why would I? 

God is @ work in each of lives. Nothing in our past has given us the title “Unacceptable”, “Unwanted” or “Rejected” or “Alone." Why would we hide from the One who loves us most? Why would we hold him at arm’s length? Not only is God @ work in your life, but He is with you AT work, AT home and everywhere in between. 

December is here and Christmas around the corner. Christmas is about God’s greatest gift to mankind, Jesus! God is @ work by providing the greatest gift ever! 

“But to all who believed him and accepted him, he gave the right to become children of God.” John 1:12 NLT

Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain for the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment