Monday, October 8, 2018

Texas Loves Texas

When I moved to Texas in 1980, I never realized how much Texas loves Texas. Of course, I must have had some luv too, because I was making the trek from the Midwest to start my career in Dallas.  As time went on, I integrated well into the culture and could roll off my tongue a ‘ya’ll’ or an ‘all ya’ll’ with ease.

What state has so much written about their beloved state? Here are some good lines from the twitter handle “Texas Humor".....

“Never met a Texan I didn’t like, until I was stuck behind the one who goes the speed limit in the fast lane.”


“Texans ain’t cocky. We really are just that great.”


“It must be sad living in a place where the stars at night aren’t big and bright.”

“Name any food, and chances are a Texas has deep-fried it before.”

“The rest of the country is pulling out their boots for fall, while Texans have had ‘em out all along.”


Ya gotta love Texas! Most folks that live here actually do love Texas! I certainly do! And for those like myself that weren’t born here, we can always add the redneck bumper sticker to our car “I wasn’t born in Texas but I got here as fast as I could.”

In recent weeks, I’ve found myself meditating on Psalm 91. The more I read it, the more I see that I can have the perfect “home” in God.... a dwelling place like no other!

“He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.” Psalm 91:1

God’s protection is real. Every time I read through Psalm 91, I’m reminded that even though I may not always see or feel it, God is always with me. He can’t forget or ignore me if I belong to Him. To note, the word “dwell” used in this verse means “to take up permanent residence in.” For me, this verse reminds me to stay in his presence, so that I will “rest” in the “shadow of the Almighty.”

So, being in the shelter of God beats living in Texas or anywhere, for that matter! Check out Psalm 91 today and let the promises of God wash over your mind today. Believe His promises. Receive His Love. Welcome his presence. 

“Because he loves me,” says the Lord, “I will rescue him; I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name. He will call on me, and I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble, I will deliver him and honor him. With long life I will satisfy him and show him my salvation.” Psalm 91:14-16

Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain for the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment