Monday, July 30, 2018

Lessons From the Spurs' Saga

Spurs’ fans aren’t used to the drama that surrounded the recent trade of Kawhi Leonard to the Toronto Raptors. Over the last few months, there was a lot of chatter on social media about what NBA team would be Kawhi's next home. People took to twitter with angry comments, blaming, shaming, complaining and basically fed up with the circus. Finally, our weary-under-the-radar-city breathed a sigh of relief. It was over. Kawhi was traded.

Coach Gregg Popovich spoke after the trade came down. He stressed that he had no hard feelings toward Leonard. "Kawhi had conducted himself wonderfully while he was here. He helped us win a championship and was a hard worker all the time. We wish him well, but at this point, it’s time to move on." Coach Pop….a breath of fresh air!

The Spurs’ saga became an important mirror for me. I’m compelled to ask myself questions like "How do I communicate my opinions in the face of discord? Do I spout off on topics when I don’t know the whole story? Am I quick to gossip about a person and speak ill of him? Do I let resentment trump being reasonable? Do I spread negativity about others? Do I pray before I speak about challenging topics?

We will never know all aspects of the Spurs summer saga. We just won’t. We only know what we know. That’s it. That’s true about life. We only know what we know. Often, we think we know morethan we do! And to hear Coach Pop, who knows more than all of us, speak with grace, dignity and honor toward Kawhi Leonard??? Wow.

Scotty Smith writes "You can lead with kindness, not rightness. Loving is way more important than winning." How does this apply to you today as you influence others today?

‘Understand this, my dear brothers and sisters: You must all be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to get angry." James 1:19 NLT

"He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?" Micah 6:8

"Offer the kindness you long to see in our culture, the fairness you wish the "media" would present, and a commitment to respect conflicting views without meanness and spite. Don’t just lament/curse the absence of goodness. A little yeast of kindness goes a long way." Scotty Smith

Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain for the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment