Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Hand in Hand

Zoe, our English Springer, has an endearing habit that makes even the non-dog lover take note. When guests come to our home, Zoe props herself up on the back of the couch and holds out her paw as if to say "Welcome!" Zoe gushes love on us as well. If she’s sitting next to us, you can be sure that one of Zoe’s paws are touching one of her human parents. Dog experts call this pawsy. I call it love.

I’ll never get tired of Zoe holding out her hand for me. I have to admit that sometimes it’s a bit annoying when I need both of my hands for something. But, on the other hand, I’m so thankful that she always wants a connection with the peeps in her life. 

As I consider the New Year ahead, I want to be very intentional about partnering with God in everything I do. I need God so much! My marriage, my work, my choices, my actions, my words, my relationships, and my service opportunities. I literally want to reach out and hold God’s hand as I walk through 2018. He and I walking through the year ahead....together. Why? Because I know that I can’t do 2018 alone! I need God and you do too. 

Give serious thought to these verses and notice the connection we can have with God:

“For I am the LORD your God who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you.”  Psalm 41:13

“Nevertheless, I am continually with You; You have taken hold of my right hand.” Psalm 73:23

“Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.” Isaiah 41:10

So often, we're too busy seeking validation from others that we miss the One who loves us most! We wander aimlessly around seeking other loves, hoping against hope that they will satisfy. We long for approval, likes and validation, all the while missing God’s voice. We can even find God’s gentle ways of reaching out to us annoying. We don’t have time for this religion stuff! We can do life on our own, thank you very much. 

I urge you to consider Zoe and her need for human touch. We need God’s touch in our lives whether we know it or not. Go ahead. Take His hand. Discover how a relationship with God can change everything about your coming year. Happy New Year!

Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain for the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment