Monday, October 9, 2017

Road Rage

This week, I experienced a small taste of what some call "road rage." I was driving down the 281S service road and all at once, saw someone edge into my middle lane. If I hadn't slowed down, he would have clipped my car. I honked mostly "defending" the integrity of my car, but partially out of anger. Well, that didn't go over well. The driver of that little Prius decided to play cat and mouse. He'd speed up and then literally stop on the service road, and speed up and stop again. Craziness.

The driver of that little Prius must have been having a very bad, no good day….and did his best to inflict pain on someone else. But, the question is, how did I respond?

It's not easy to turn my back when someone is glaringly wrong. My human nature cries out to want to make right the wrongs. Everything in my spirit felt justified to honk my horn even louder (haha) at this guy.  If only, I had my phone handy to snap a picture of his little Prius license place. If only….

Bad stuff that come out of the blue like this remind me just how much I need God. It's so easy to react rather than act. When I actually calmed down, I thought…

How being "right" is much more fun than being humble.

Being defensive is so much easier than offering kindness.

Getting even is more instinctive than getting humble.

Then, I was convicted. I needed an attitude check. I DID want to be right. I WAS defensive. I DID want to get even. It was such a natural instinct. I'll call it what it is…sin.

I asked God for help in this matter. He directed me to some verses on humility, kindness and patience. Imagine that! He reminded me that I'm called to love others as Jesus loves me, not as they love me.

God seems to provide meaningful life lessons in day-to-day life, doesn't He? There's even lessons after experiencing road rage.

"When pride comes, then comes disgrace, but with humility comes wisdom." Proverbs 11:2

"Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love." Ephesians 4:2

"Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God." Matthew 5:9

Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain of the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment