Monday, September 25, 2017

Good, Good Father

I don’t know much about Will. He’s a black gelding horse. I don’t know his breed or his age. I don’t know anything about his past except that he was rescued from a kill pen. He was skin and bones and now looks fat, sassy and beautiful. For the next three months, I am leasing him as we prepare for horse ownership.

Will has been a bit aloof and tough one to catch. The other day, it took over an hour to catch him, even while being lured by food! History has taught Will some lessons. Somewhere along the way, he learned that not everyone could be trusted. Obviously, he had a master along the way that didn’t love him the way he needed to be love.

Sometimes, humans can be a lot like Will when it comes to how we relate to God. Some of us prefer to keep our distance. Others may not believe or trust in God. Others grew up in church, but couldn’t wait to get free from the legalism and guilt. Many have viewed God through the lens of over-zealous, judgmental believers and can’t get away fast enough.

God is and will always be a good Father. He is the real deal and truly wants a relationship with every human being. He loves us so much, more than any human being can love. He wants us to want Him, all the time, not when we get in a pinch or hungry for something. He communicates clearly through His Word, how we come into relationship with Him. (John 3:16) We can act so much like Will….just running to and fro, looking for some other way, avoiding the very One who loves us and wants the very best for us.

I can’t imagine life without God. His love is the real deal. I’ve had times in my life where I wanted to run from Him, but learned quickly that it wasn’t a good idea. I’m so thankful I can trust Him, no matter what comes my way. To think He wants a relationship with all of us is beyond amazing! He is God. We are not.

Stop running. Ask God to show you more about who He is. If you ask, He will show you.

If you have a moment today, check out this song today by Chris Tomlin.(Good Good Father):

I’ve heard a thousand stories of what they think you’re like
But I’ve heard the tender whispers of love in the dead of night
And you tell me that you’re pleased
And that I’m never alone.
You’re a good good father
It’s who you are, it’s who you are, it’s who you are
And I’m loved by you.
It’s who I am, it’s who I am, its who I am
I’ve seen many searching for answers far and wide
But I know we’re all searching
For answers only you provide
Cause you know just what we need 
Before we say a word
You’re a good, good father…. (continued)

Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain for the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment