Monday, July 31, 2017

Manu's Decision

It’s hard to believe that Manu Ginobili is 40 today. I know. Many of you don’t really care. That’s OK. But, Manu will always be one of the most beloved Spurs and honestly, turning 40 is a big deal. Wait until you turn 40. You’ll see.

When out on the floor, he adds a dimension to the Spurs that is, basically, indescribable. Who remembers Manu swinging down a bat in the AT&T Center? Who can’t forget the greatest play of the 2017 playoffs when Manu came from behind James Harden and blocked his shot at the buzzer in Game 5 against the Rockets? Manu just being Manu.

I’ve been waiting all summer to find out whether Manu would come back to the Spurs. It was so exciting to hear he made his decision! He’ll be a great asset on the team. His leadership, spunk, and craziness on the floor will be sweet to watch. One. More. Year.

Manu’s decision to play didn’t come easy…..“It was much slower to make the decision than the other times because I had more doubts. I wanted to let the decision mature to see how I felt. I made my decision because it’s a great honor to be in such a franchise, at 40-years old, feeling important, with people who tell me that they love me and that I am still important to the team.”

How do you make tough decisions? What college should I attend? Whom should I marry? Should I move or not?  Invest or not invest? Get a tattoo or not? Aging parent decisions? Change careers or not? Date a person or not? How do you make the RIGHT decision?

I don’t think there’s a cookie cutter approach to decision making. We all are unique human beings with God given talents. It’s never really worked for me to follow the step by step “How to Know God’s Will for your Life’ approach. Instead, I invite God into my decision process. If I’m trying to make a decision, I ask God to help me. I go to God’s Word and camp out at verses like “If any of you is lacking in wisdom, ask God, who gives to all generously and ungrudgingly, and it will be given you.” (James 1:5) or “And this is my prayer: that your love may abound more and more in knowledge and depth of insight, so that you may be able to discern what is best.” (Philippians 1:9-10)

I do believe God wants input in our decisions, but I think he loves it when we develop the wisdom and discernment to make our own decision in light of His Word. When I feel confidant in the decision, I am ready to move forward. Receiving God’s peace is a sure fire sign that all is good. With God’s peace, I don’t have to second guess myself, because God’s in it. May God bless you and give you great wisdom in all your decisions today.

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him and he will make straight your paths." Proverbs 3:5-6

Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain for the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment