Monday, May 1, 2017

It's Not About Me

With beautiful spring weather, the NBA playoffs and Fiesta, this time of year can be a blast here in San Antonio! My eyes have been glued on the NBA playoffs and just happy to see our San Antonio Spurs peel away from the Memphis Grizzlies this past week. Ready for Houston!

Maybe you heard a recent reporter alerting Kawhi Leonard that the TNT's studio crew of Shaquille O'Neal, Kenny Smith, and Charles Barkley dubbed him the world's second best player. (behind LeBron James) Leonard answered: "I didn't hear (them say that), but it doesn't matter, I'm trying to be the best team in the world right now. It's not about me, it's about the Spurs. And that's all I wanna do."

Kawhi Leonard has greater wisdom than most at his age! He gets it. It's not about him. It's about his team, the San Antonio Spurs. Leonard's humility is so refreshing. Wouldn't we all benefit from more of his mindset?

We've demanded our way and longed to be first since infancy. Isn't selfishness just a normal part of life?  The self-ward focus finds its way into sibling rivalry, high schools, college campuses, sports, entertainment, businesses, families and even retirement.  Why can't I have what I want? Why did I get overlooked? Why didn't I get promoted? Why don't they ask my opinion? Why shouldn't I try to make a name for myself? Why can't I do what I want to do?

We've been told in life to "look out for number one." Maybe we've forgotten who the real number one is? God and God alone. When we move from me-focused to God-focused, our mindset changes.  For me, if I miss having time with God or reading the Bible, I can quickly move into my "me-mindset." I do life in my way and in my strength. But, when I spend time with God, meditate on His word, things change. I remember the great words found in John 3:30 " He must increase, but I must decrease." Things don't change overnight, but I'm finding that God gets bigger in my life as I get smaller.

I'm not the center of the universe. My way is not the only way. God doesn't exist just to make me happy. The world doesn't revolve around me. I'm not always right.  It's not about me. It's not about you. It's about God.

"God does not exist to make much of us. We exist to make much of him." John Piper.

"Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me. Therefore, I am well content with my weaknesses, with insults, with distresses, with persecutions, with difficulties, for Christ's sake; for when I am weak, then I am strong."  2 Corinthians 12: 9-10

Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain for the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment