Monday, March 6, 2017

Giving Up Stuff

This past week, I heard a lot of people talking about the things they are giving up for Lent. It appears there's a record amount of people participating in “giving up stuff” for Lent. Common “give up” items are chocolate, alcohol, facebook, twitter, meat, sweets, coffee, soft drinks and social networking.

I really like the idea of giving up something for Lent that I’m not going to miss. That would work quite well. Like, brussel sprouts. Yes, I could go 40 days without eating a brussel sprout. I could actually go a lifetime and never touch those ugly green things. I’m going to also give up bull riding. It pays to stay off those big angry creatures. Yes, I could do that for 40 days. All kidding aside, I have been thinking about how I personally respond to Lent.

Lent commemorates the beginning of Jesus’ 40 day fasting and temptation in the desert. I’m sure it was tough for Jesus to give up food for 40 days in the desert. I can’t imagine the temptations He faced from Satan at such a vulnerable time. But, He did it, because Jesus loved and obeyed His Father. He knew God was with Him and would carry Him through each day.

I don’t want an ordinary Lenten season, do you? My focus on “giving up stuff” can become the focus, not Jesus Himself. As I fast on something in my day to day life, I want to focus on Jesus. What He’s done for me. How He lived His life. His humility. His compassion. His love. His sacrifice. Honestly, I don’t want to stop there. I want to become more Christ-like on this journey. Don't you? So, let’s start this day with a prayer as we seek to make this Lenten season an amazing, life-changing journey.

Dear Lord, I really want this Lenten season to be different. May my small sacrifice in fasting be a way to see you more clearly in my life. May my longing for the thing I’m fasting from help me to draw near to You. Show me where I sin against you. Show me when I live in un-forgiveness. Show me when I’m negative, irritated and less then loving. Free me from the temptation to judge others or place myself above others. Let me be less and less absorbed with myself and more and more consumed with You. Yes, Lord, I want to be transformed on this journey. Changed for the better. I need your help and guidance. Let your love shine through me as I prepare for Easter. In Jesus’ Name. Amen.

Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain for the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment