Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Weary?

Weariness can come in all shapes and sizes.  What is the source of your weariness today? Are you tired of the ugliness of cancer? Are you weary of the shootings that go on when and where you least expect? How about people that can’t get along and friends that move away? Or weary of all that's going on in our country? Weary of an aching body? A work schedule gone mad?

Sometimes, a schedule out-of-control can just leave me weary. During times like this, I long for those things that quiet my spirit and bring rest and refreshment to my soul. An afternoon kayak ride on the Guadelupe. Riding horses. Biking on a nearby bike trail. Cozying up on the couch to a good book. Yes, those are the things that bring back equilibrium and peace.

Even in the midst of a busy schedule, I make it a priority to start my day with time with God. Day after day, I make it a point to get up super early, exercise and then cozy up on my couch for my “God-time.” Opening the Bible, reading and studying passages of scripture affects me. I get God’s perspective. I find refreshment for my weary soul. I find peace amidst fears. I see answers for how to handle things. I gather wisdom for difficult issues. Yes, it’s this special, protected time in the morning that keeps me alive and well.

Actually this verse aptly describes what happens when I have my “God-time:” “The Sovereign LORD has given me a well-instructed tongue, to know the word that sustains the weary. He wakens me morning by morning, wakens my ear to listen like one being instructed.” Isaiah 50:4 (NIV) I need God’s wisdom, His heart, His words to encourage and instruct me. A personal relationship with God involves a real relationship.

You may think this kind of time with God is just crazy. Why sit and be with Someone you can’t see or talk to out loud? I want to encourage you to try. God loves you and longs for a personal relationship with Him. He is the source for true refreshment. He can give sanity to what feels crazy. He can give hope when you live with a “what if?” He can give peace when your heart wants to fear. Try Him. He’s just waiting. He has much to say.

“I will refresh the weary and satisfy the faint.” Jeremiah 31:25

Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain for the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment