Monday, October 3, 2016

When I Don't Know What To Do

There are times when I don’t know what to say for these weekly Start Ups. Nothing comes at all. Nothing. I pray. I ask God for help. I have always, always felt His help in doing them. But, today, nothing seemed to come. I’m stuck. I just don’t know what to do or say. I’ve started about 10 different themes for this start up. Nothing clicked. 

God, what do you want me to do? I have to write something!

Sometimes, God is not quick with answers. But, He does answer prayers. I’m sure of that. As I lay on the couch with my pink cast propped up on the pillow, I had those dumpy feelings that no one really probably connects with me anyway. No one else ever feels stuck or speechless or boring or down in the dumps. Who am I? What do I have to say that can resonate with anyone? As these “Woo is me” feelings came over me, I stopped and somehow, God brought me back to reality.

God, that isn’t true! You can use me even when I’m feeling discouraged and defeated. I just have to trust you to carry me through.

So, what did God do with this Start Up that wasn’t? He gave me a song. He reminded me to stop. Worship Him. Let go of my defeated feelings. Pray and seek His face. Don’t turn to anything else but Him for help. So, here’s the song:

When I don’t know what to do
I’ll lift my hands
When I don’t know what to say
I’ll speak Your praise.
When I don’t know where to go
I’ll run to Your throne
When I don’t know what to think
I’ll stand on Your truth
When I don’t know what to do. (Chorus 1)

Lord, I surrender all
To your strong and faithful hand
In everything I will give thanks to you
I’ll just trust your perfect plan. (Verse 1)
(When I Don’t Know What To Do, by Tommy Walker, from the album Break Through: Live at Saddleback)

The next time you have those feelings of discouragement, defeat and don’t know what to do, consider God. I’m so grateful He brought me out of my negativity and gave me a song in my heart.

"I waited patiently for the Lord; he turned to me and heard my cry. He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand. He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see and fear the Lord and put their trust in Him." Psalm 40:1-3

Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain for the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment