Sunday, April 3, 2016

The Messiness of Change

 
Messiness and change often go together. Transitions are not always easy. Our comfort zones are messed with. Things aren't the same anymore. Whether it's transitioning in a job or moving from one state to another or dealing with a new illness, change is messy. Just last week, I got a letter in the email inviting
me to report for jury duty. OK, how can something so simple, mess with
my already planned schedule? My week is now CHANGED! We human
beings don't really find ourselves fishing for more change in our lives.
 
The drama of change is seen all over the place. Changing locations. Changing
jobs. Moving from one stage of life to another. Changing a pesky habit.
Transforming a bad attitude. Dealing with aging. Parenting. Childbirth. Health
issues. Death of a loved one. The list can go on and on. As you face this new day, what changes in your life are you experiencing? Sometimes, naming and acknowledging this season of change is helpful. It's also helpful to be kind to
yourself and realize change can be stressful. Give yourself and others grace
often in the midst of change.
 
For me, I've come to realize five things about change. 1. The older I get, the
harder change is. 2. The longer I'm stuck, the longer "Stuck" becomes my
friend. 3. Fear holds me back from changing. 4. God is my help in times of
change. 5. Change is painful, but God will see me through. As I honestly look
at the changes with God at my side, things aren't so stressful.
 
In Malachi 3:6, God says "For I am the Lord, I change not." Wow! In the midst
of an ever changing circumstances, I'm so grateful that one thing cannot change- GOD. This also includes that fact that his great love for us will never change as
well. I can relax in the arms of a God who is not going to change his mind, go back on his Word, betray or judge me. What peace that brings me!
 
So, what are the changes that are currently going on in your life? What personal changes do you need to address? What fears keep you from really dealing with
your "stuck" issue? What current change has you a bit intimidated? As you start
this week, I encourage you to keep God in your close focus. God is our one true constant...if we would but seek Him. Peace be with you as you walk through any change that comes your way.
"Keep your life so constantly in touch with God that His surprising power can break through at any point. Live in a constant state of expectancy and leave room for God to come as He decides." Oswald Chambers, My Utmost for His Highest
 
"God is not human, that he should lie, not a human being, that he should change his mind. Does he speak and then not act? Does he promise and not fulfill?" Numbers 23:19
 
Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain for the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment