Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Busy Days and Mondays

When was the last time you woke up in the middle of the night with thoughts of your to-do list dancing in your head? When was the last time you started your day overwhelmed at all you had to do? How has the busyness of your work dictated a way of living you don't really enjoy?

I can get so enamored with my "to do" list. Sometimes, my "to do" list has more demands than there are hours in the day. Monday can come way to fast! I can start the new week with a carry-over deficit of all that didn't get accomplished last week. Life becomes like a treadmill.  I start my day on a real treadmill, but the day just keeps going at breakneck speed on a different type of treadmill.  The treadmill of deadlines, demands and reminders of what still has to be done. Busy days and Mondays don't always have to get us down.

Too often, I miss out on the gift of a new day, because I'm in a panic mode. Stressed. Existing but not existing. Present but not really present. How in the world can I get anything done in that mindset? There's got to be a better way!  What can help you and I have a good plan for busy days and Mondays?
 
For me, I want to remember what matters and Who matters. For me, just as I start my day on the treadmill for exercise, I don't want to forget to take time for spiritual health. Time in God's Word reminds me of who I am and who God is. God is steadfast, loving, persevering, caring and full of grace and mercy.  When I spend time with Him, I remember that life isn't just about getting things done. I realize that God wants to partner with me and allow me to do my work in peace, patience and freedom. With Him, I don't have to be anxious, but I can literally give Him every one of my worries and frets.  As I partner with God, I can do my work with peace and calm, knowing that God can and will guide me each moment.
 
So, lets start our day placing our hope in God. Not in other's approval. Not in stress and worry. Not in panic. Not EVEN in our ability to get things done. There is a God in heaven who wants to be personal.... with YOU.  He wants to be your help. He wants to be in relationship with you. He literally will order your steps and guide you each day. Will you let Him?
 
"You keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on you, because he trusts in you." Isaiah 26:3
 
"This I call to mind, and therefore I have hope. The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases; his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning, great is your faithfulness." Lamentations 3: 21-23
 
Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain for the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment