Monday, June 8, 2015

Words Matter

Have you noticed how much negativity and criticism there is in our culture today? Our attacks toward one another come in the form of jokes, Facebook comments, blogs, conversations at work and twitter feed. We can label others, call them names and cut them down through our "innocent" jokes. We judge others ruthlessly. We gossip unknowingly. We point out others' weaknesses, while hiding our own. I often think these actions stem from our own insecurities.

Last year, in the NBA finals, you might have remembered "Cramp Gate," the night the air conditioning went off at the AT&T Center, here in San Antonio. LeBron James developed severe cramps. By the next day, people were having a hay day with the LeBron Cramp Gate jokes. I found myself tempted to join in on the chatter, but in processing this, I stopped myself. I refused to make fun of LeBron. LeBron is human just like you and I. LeBron has issues just like you and I. LeBron even makes mistakes just like you and I. Why does it behoove me to make fun of him?

Our words matter. How we treat people matter. It matters to God, to others and ourselves. Our appetite for judging others has caused us to be so unconcerned with the hearts of people. We forget we're dealing with real people.  We forget that others see our comments. We don't seem to care that others might be hurt by our words. In doing so, we lack respect for our fellow human beings.

I will be the first to admit that my speech is not always gracious. Just ask my husband! I'm reminded in the book of James, the half-brother of Jesus who wrote "The tongue is a small part of the body, and yet it boasts great things. See how great a forest is set aflame by such a small fire." (James 3:5) But my words come from my heart way before they make their way out of my mouth! Perhaps, that's why the Bible emphasizes so much holding the tongue before speaking!

Quit judging other people. Stop condemning others with your words. Be done with gossip. Refuse to cut down anyone. Second, consider the types of things that come out of your mouth: Is it edifying to others? Will others be hurt by my words? Am I lifting up or tearing down others? Is this helpful for all? Be a change agent with your words. 

"Conduct yourselves with wisdom. Let your speech always be with grace, as though seasoned with salt, so that you will know how you should respond to each person." (Colossians 4:5-6)

"Let no unwholesome word proceed from your mouth, but only such a word as is good for edification according to the need of the moment, so that it will give grace to those who hear." (Ephesians 4:29)

Chaplain for the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment