Monday, December 29, 2014

I Didn't Know!

I didn't know.... Three words that I use often with my husband.  Usually these words are given in response to something that I should know, but either don't  remember, don't want to remember or can't seem to remember. To tell you the truth, I may not have been paying attention to actually know what I should have known.  Make sense?

There are things in our lives that we THINK we know and ultimately find out that we really didn't know at all.  You might think you are a pretty confident person... until you're tested beyond what you could fathom.  You might think you're pretty invincible physically, until you're flat on your back with an injury. You might think that you're a fairly humble person, until you have been wronged by someone and begin defending yourself profusely. You might think you never judge others, but don't even know that others feel your judgements.

Coming to grips with what I thought I knew and didn't remains one of my greatest lessons in the last five years of my life.  It was so easy for me to believe what I wanted to believe...and think I was right.  Now stop...I'm not the only one who does this, am I? We often didn't seek out input from others about our conclusions.  We just make them because we THINK we're right. For example, we can judge other people so quickly, not KNOWING everything that is going on with that person.  We assume we know, but we don't.  We can become critical and begin withholding love from them.  Our condescending coolness lets them know we're not pleased with them.  And guess what? Others feel your judgements.  And thus begins the circle of un-love, and not knowing the whole story.  

The song, "Mary Did You Know?" comes to mind. (Buddy Green, Mark Lowry) "Mary, did you know that your baby boy would one day walk on water? Mary, did you know that your baby boy would save our sons and daughters? Did you know that your baby boy has come to make you new? This Child that you delivered will soon deliver you." As I think about the Christmas story, told in Luke 1:26-38, I bet Mary DIDN'T KNOW all that was about to come.  When the angel appeared out of nowhere, and told her she was highly favored, that might have scared Mary like crazy.  But, she listened to the angel who said "Do not be afraid, Mary, you have found favor with God.  You will be with child and give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus.  He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High." Mary was probably freaking out by now and asked "How in the world could this be?" The angel answered "The Holy Spirit will come upon you and the power of the Most High will over shadow you. So the Holy One to be born will be called the Son of God.  For nothing is impossible with God."  Mary replied "I am the Lord's servant, may it be to me as you have said."  Mary didn't know the whole story, but she said yes to God anyway!  And because of her faith and trust, she bore the baby that would rule the nations.

As we march toward Christmas this week, I encourage you to take some time to ponder the Christmas story... maybe for the first time.  It was Mary's first time too!  Find a Bible and read it.  What if this story were really, really true and you didn't know? Just like Mary! What if you didn't really know everything there was to know about the Christmas story? What if you invited God to show you what you didn't know?  I wonder what would happen in your life.... I wonder.

Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain for the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment