Monday, November 17, 2014

A Healthy Me!

On a bright 3X5 neon green card taped on my desk, I have written "Putting Judeo-Christian principles into practice through programs that build healthy spirit, mind and body for all." We at the YMCA should be proud of such an awesome mission! How many other organizations have such a broad mission that reaches the whole person?

We're all about helping others be successful in building a healthy spirit, mind and body.  I can't help but be impressed with the last two words of our mission... for all.  For ALL!  All means all.  All types of people.  All ages of people. All faiths of people.  All people.  A healthy 'we' starts with a healthy 'me.' You matter.  As staff of the YMCA, we care about YOU.  Your healthy spirit, mind and body matters.  It matters a lot!

As we start this week, I encourage you to take some time to consider your own spirit, mind and body health as you read through these questions.  Be honest.  Really take note of your health. What's going well.  What's not so well.  Ready?  Here we go!

Spirit: Do I tend to avoid this part of me?  If so, why?  Do I make it a practice to read the bible, knowing it is a guide to everyday life? Do I take time to pray each day...for myself and others?   Am I growing in love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, gentleness and self control? Am I happy with God or mad at God? Consider why.  Do I have someone in my life that I share my spiritual journey with?

Mind: Do I have an attitude of gratitude each day? Am I open to receiving criticism? Do I struggle with focus? Is my mind multi-tasking throughout the day? Do I struggle with worry, doubt, fear or anxiety? How is that affecting me?  Is my heart at total peace? Am I plagued with shameful or guilt ridden thoughts? Do I practice forgiving those who've hurt me? Do I ask for forgiveness when I've hurt others?

Body: Do I make eating nutritionally a daily practice? If not, what needs to change? Do I get enough sleep? Am I stressed out consistently? Do I take times to rest, refresh and recharge? When I relax, do I feel guilty? Do I make exercising a daily practice? Do I make a point to have regular medical check ups?

These lists are just a start to prodding you to take seriously your OWN spirit, mind and body health. As we continue to engage in our Healthy Me program, it's good to do some personal assessment. What's going well? We salute you and encourage you to continue to excel!  What's not going so hot? We encourage you to get out of your comfort zone and engage in some personal changes that could very easily change your life and others too!

You matter to us!  You matter to God.  Thank you for being a part of the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

"Take the time and the trouble to keep yourself spiritual fit." 1 Timothy 4:7 (Phillips Translation)
"I thank you, High God- you're breathtaking!  Body and soul, I am marvelously made! I worship in adoration- what a creation." (Psalm 139:14 The Message)

Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain for the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment