Thursday, May 15, 2014

Lessons From a Dog Bite

Could I fit in a run before taking off for Game 2 with Portland with a friend?  I thought so, no problem.  So, off I went into the neighborhood going up and down familiar side streets.  Just as I turned down one street, out of the corner of my eye, I saw a lady and a dog at the entrance to their backyard fence.  Before I could even think about it, the dog ran straight toward me and I felt this instant shock go through my body.  It didn't take but one look behind my leg to realize that this was pretty serious.

Time seemed to stand still as neighbors heard my screams and called 911.  People were gathering and gawking.  Soon, the EMT arrived as well as ambulance.  My husband had left earlier that day to go down to Dilley, Texas to serve in a Karios Prison weekend.  He would have been in the prison by that point of the day, so he had no access to a phone.  So, when people asked about whom to call, in a stupor, I said "I can't get a hold of my husband...he's serving in prison and has no access to the phone." I heard some whispers around me to the affect of "her husband is in prison..."  I'm sure they felt sorry for me.

That night, my plans changed dramatically.  Ben, my husband, came back from the prison.  We watched the Spurs game in my hospital room.  I gave the Spurs tickets to my friend.  Stitches were sown. Doctor's strong words were given.  Crutches were handed over to their new owner.  Wheeled out of North Central Baptist about midnight, I was happy to be going home.

As I woke up the next day, (on my birthday) I had to come to grips with the reality that life doesn't always go the way I want it to go.  Accidents happen...even on a birthday.  Life gets altered by something that we don't plan on.  All at once, simple things like exercise, going to the grocery, walking up stairs and doing laundry provide a challenge.  I've learned that I really like the recipe I have for life.  When things go MY way.  When I'm free from things that just mess up MY routine that I've grown to love.  Yep, It's not fun to be out of control.

In my weakness, I'm realizing that God is good and has a plan, even with a dog bite.  He will use even a dog bite to each me about His sovereign care and love for me.  He will remind me that He will take care of me and help me through the simple frustrations that I'm experiencing.  He will also remind me of people who have it so much worse and teach me a new level of compassion for others.

Unplanned, unexpected things happen in all of our lives.  We may not understand why, But God calls us to trust Him in the midst. We may feel alone and frustrated, yet God is with us and will never forsake us. The dog bite left it's mark.  The birthday will be memorable.  The lessons learned...invaluable.

Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain for the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment