Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Is God good?

When was the last time you questioned God's goodness?  Our image of God can become extremely distorted by looking through the lens of circumstances.  How could God allow the horrific mudslide in Washington state? Why would He allow a plane to disappear over the Indian Ocean?  Or more personal, how could He allow this certain disappointment in my life?

The troubles of life can take us by storm...if we let them.  It doesn't take living long on this planet to realize that circumstances can freak us out.  Difficult marriages.  Planes down. Mudslides. Cancer. Overload at work. Difficult relationship. Regrets.  Yes, it's easy to say "This isn't fair, God."
So, when good things happen, God is good.  But, when bad things happen, God gets the blame? Really??? What we are basically saying is "God, You're not working these things out the way I think you should."  Basically, when we wave our questioning finger at God, we are asking "Is God good?"

I have found as long as I try to make sense of the horizontal life around me, I'm going to be deeply confused and horribly discontent.  When I go vertical and look up to God, my heart is changed.  As I look to God and study His Word, my questions turn into trusting an unchanging God.

I'm blown away by the Bible!  In Psalm 103, David is speaking and gives countless examples of God's goodness.  He pardons our sins. He heals our diseases. He redeems our life from the pit.  He crowns us with loving kindness and compassion.  He satisfies our years with good things.  God loves you so much that He wants you to enjoy ALL His benefits.  Yet, sadly, a gap exists between God and us because our thinking about God can be skewed.

If you are going through a difficult time today, why not move toward God, versus away from God? Why not actually try praying to Him?  We ALL need God.  Today, you might think you can get along fine without God.  However, you need Him more than you know!  As you start your day today, consider how your own circumstances have influenced your view of God.  God is good; all the time.  All the time; God is good. What keeps you from believing that?

"I would have lost heart, unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living." Psalm 27:13

Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain for the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment